Domestic Solutions for Dry Eyes
Dry eye syndrome: What does it mean?
This term refers to the dry eyes caused by reduced production of tears, or poor quality tears. Its symptoms include:
- Dry, scratchy, & painful sensation in the eyes
- Feeling as if there are particles in your eyes
- Fatigued eyes
- Light sensitivity
- Blurred vision
- Mucus in or around your eyes
Dry eyes can be caused by:
- Certain medications
- Environmental factors
- Certain medical conditions
Move to a new environment
Dry eyes are often caused by environmental factors. When it is windy, stay indoors; also, prevent smoke from entering your eyes.
Protect your eyes with eyewear while riding in a convertible, riding a motorcycle or bike, or skiing.
Use a humidifier to moisturize the air in your home.
Add fatty acids to your diet
Research has shown that the consumption of omega-3 fatty acids is capable of ameliorating dry eyes symptoms. This fat relieves dry eyes by decreasing the inflammation of the eyes, thus giving room for the production of tears of higher quality.
You may consume omega-3 supplements or foods that have an abundance of this nutrient, like:
- Ground flaxseed & flaxseed oil
- Palm oil
- Chia seeds
- Soybean oil
- Fatty fish, like sardines, salmon, mackerel, and tuna
- Eggs fortified with omega-3 fats
Use eye ointments or drops
Due to the side effects associated with eye drops that contain a preservative, it is advisable to use eye drops containing no preservative.
When must you consult a physician for dry eyes?
If the aforementioned remedies fail to relieve your dry eyes, and your condition is getting worse, consult your doctor.
Consult a physician if you have:
- Redness & swelling
- Severe pain
- Eye injury
- Discharge from the eye or flaking
- Swelling, stiffness, and joint pain
- Dry mouth
- Persistent dryness after some days of self-care
Ways of preventing dry eyes
In addition to the use of eye ointment or drops, the following can help prevent dry eyes:
- Stay away from places that have excessive air movement
- Use a humidifier to moisturize the air during winter
- Give your eyes rest
- Distance yourself from cigarette smoke
- Make use of warm compresses followed by washing your eyelids
- Make use of a supplement of omega-3 fatty acid